February 12 of 12

This month I didn't have a specific theme or style in mind when I set out photographing my day, but one quickly developed over the course of the day, and then became obvious as the day went on: Multiples. (This is all based on a project started by Chad Darnell.)

I spent the night at Kid Flash's last night and forgot to take my camera with me, but he was gracious enough to let me borrow his for the day. Let me tell you, his little Canon PowerShot SD400 is a lot easier to carry around than my Nikon D50! I may have to look into getting something small like this for these projects and reserve the D50 for portfolio shots, which is what it was purchased for in the first place.


I was working this morning for a company out in Brooklyn that does stop motion animation films. They ate gearing up for there next piece and the studio was littered with pieces of dolls that were being prepped for the shoot. The puppets they use are all made from various doll parts.


My job was painting the still backgrounds for the shoot. It is part of an ongoing series, so there are some existing pieces that will need to be matched, and some others that will need to be touched up, or modified for the new story.


The dolls are EVERYWHERE and can get little weird to work around frankly. They've all been reworked to look like various celebrities or public figures so any given pile might be a dozen Madonna's mixed with Bill Clinton's or Paris Hiltons piled on top of Randy Jacksons.


A multiple of little birdies that I saw when I went for lunch.


Speaking of lunch...


A sketch of one of the backgrounds that I'll be rendering later in the week, Mann's Chinese.


The hall outside the studio features this... unusual... flock of birdies.


After work it was over to Manhattan for the weekly card game. (Which seems to fall on the 12th quite a bit...) This is a stop on the R, headed in.


And my final stop in Manhattan.


A swing through Starbucks for a snack to take to the game.


Multiples showed up during the game too.


More game artifacts.

Tomorrow is another day off, while the interns at the studio prep art boards for me, then Wednesday I'll be back in to start the real paintings.

4 Response to "February 12 of 12"