Taking the Plunge

One of the first things that I was told when I decided to go into theatre was that summerstock was a veritable orgy, hook-ups left and right and rumors flying all summer. It's true, and then it's not at the same time, like most stereotypes.

I have been working at various summerstocks for 7 years now, and have always gone into the summer thinking that this year was the year, that there would be some boy that would be a fun fling for a month or two, and then we go our different ways. It never really turned out that way. Somehow I have the habit of ending up at the straightest gay environments that you can imagine. I was the only gay student in my art school, the only gay student in my theatre undergrad, the only gay male in my theatre grad school, I have worked at 5 different summerstocks where I was the only, or one of the few gay guys... it defies statistics I know.

This summer I arrived to a flock of gay boys, but they were all... boys. 19 to 22, a little outside the range that I consider datable... and by a little I mean a decade. there have been flirtations here and there, but nothing that I have followed through on.

That's where Harp comes in. Harp and I have been flirting for nigh on 6 weeks, (he was featured in the second of my little dramas), but I have been reluctant, mostly because he's young, and didn't seem sure of what he wanted. But after some recent developments I decided that I wanted to know what was going on in his head, and so I asked him point blank. After some prevarication he admitted that he was attracted and interested, but had some concerns. Putting myself in his shoes I thought back to what MY concerns would have been at his age: that the guy I was interested in was only interested in a fling, or a onenight stand, something that at that age didn't appeal to me.

Turns out that it was exactly the opposite. Harp was concerned that I wanted a lasting relationsip of some sort, something that he says he isn't capable of giving me at the moment. I laughed at the irony of it, and simply told him that he didn't need to worry.

And so, I am finally there... two make-out sessions into my first summerstock romance, and let me tell you it's fun. Serepticious kisses under the edge of the stage just before he goes on, flirty glances when I walk through rehearsal... I'm not sure if it is the quasi-secretive nature of what we are doing, or his age rubbing off on me, or what, but I haven't had this much fun since I was his age. He is leaving the season early, about two weeks from now, two weeks before me, so it may not progress much beyond this, but it's a nice diversion.

3 Response to "Taking the Plunge"