Bureaucracy

My license expired on my birthday, which I didn't discover until a bank teller pointed it out to me. So, since I was taking a personal day from work anyway to do some work at the theatre I decided that I should take care of that as well. I downloaded and filled out the forms. I took my passport as back up ID. I waited in line. But I was denied a license because I didn't have my Social Security card with me. Keep in mind that I had had to present said card in order to get the passport. And the passport includes my Social Security information. Never mind that the passport is supposed to be the supreme form of ID issued. Never mind that the passport was issued by an authority larger than the NY State DMV. Because of a silly rule I have to go back again.

At least it wasn't as bad as the guy in front of me. He had his Social Security card but they denied him because his card was laminated.

I'm serious.

1 Response to "Bureaucracy"

  • Nita Van Zandt Says:

    Whoa, this experience ought to be reported to someone higher--like maybe a powerful Senator from your state. No way is an unlaminated SSN card the highest identification authority!