Pope Round Up 2

Some more Pope-y type stuff that I was responsible for, again in the realm of last minute fabric purchases. That grey band of fabric behind the flowers was also velvet that I dashed around to find on Friday, and then took a trip out to JFK to put in place.

This time however the Jews that I bought the fabric from didn't really seem to give a shit if it was for the Pope or not. Too bad they didn't have a nice grey at the other location.

I also designed some red velvet bicycle rack covers (they were used for crowd control barricades) that were in place at the St. Joe's Seminary events, unfortunately I can't track down a photo that shows them, alas...

2 Response to "Pope Round Up 2"

  • Anonymous Says:

    You wrote: "the Jews that I bought the fabric from didn't really seem to give a shit if it was for the Pope or not".

    Uhhh, why would they? He not only doesn't represent their faith, but his predecessors were responsible for centuries of Jewish persecution. It's fair to say that Rome has generally been no friend to Jews even in modern times.

    It's wonderful that your previous seller took such pleasure in the sale she made to you, but asking Jews to be pleased about cheering the Pope on seems at least a bit unreasonable, and at best, rather ignorant.


  • Cully Says:

    Now now, I wasn't asking them to care! Trust me, I know the history of the Catholic Church and Jews, especially German Jews. I was just amused by the contrast in experiences.

    I had just left one store staff jumping up and down. The second store when they asked what it was for and I told them their response was a shrug and "Well, it's a nice fabric."

    That's all.

    I'm no fan of the Pope myself after all. The best part of this experience has been watching the MANY varied reactions from other people.