Pope Round Up 1

This is the Pope at Ground Zero. I did a lot to help with this little production. Sketches, research, drafting... the design choices that I got to make early on were eventually cut by the archdiocese (because they were too "designed"). But one very tangible thing that I can call my own here is that yellow square just above and to the right of the Pope's head. That is a gun barricade that the Secret Service asked to have in place. Basically an inch thick piece of steel that they could throw the Pope behind if someone started shooting. On Friday the designer in charge of this load-in called me frantically because the barricades were ugly, and needed to be covered. My job was to hit the fashion district and find 25 yards of yellow velvet. I was given the Pope's PMS number, (yes, there is an official Pope Pantone Color) and sent shopping.

In case you ever wondered 25 yards of bright yellow/gold velvet is not actually easy to find. After exhausting the fashion district I hopped a subway to Chinatown, and to some closeout type fabric stores that I know there. In the third or fourth I found what I wanted. The small Hispanic lady who helped me asked why I needed so many yards of such an unusual fabric. After some language difficulties I pointed to a picture on the front of the paper she had laying on the cutting table. She screamed in delight, "Il Papa! Il Papa!? My fabric for Il Papa!!" She gave me two dollars a yard off, and a huge smile when I left.

5 Response to "Pope Round Up 1"

  • thadmoore Says:

    Wow. Nice story! Gotta love the Hispanic woman's reaction, although that's gotta be pretty cool to think that your fabric would be used for the Pope...


  • Jason Das Says:

    Awesome story, Cully! Thanks for sharing it.


  • Anonymous Says:

    so i take it that you did not go to comic con? talk about a clashing of religions . . .


  • Cully Says:

    Oh no, I was at the Con! I know where my priorities are! I wasn't lead on any of these designs, so I didn't have to attend the events. It looked for a while like I may have to go to the departure ceremony on Sunday but they let me out of it.


  • Anonymous Says:

    Were you at the con on Sunday too?

    Why didn't we coordinate?

    btw, I love this post.

    I can now tell people I'm one degree away from the pope - ok, maybe two.