The More Things Change...

It's funny how everything here is the same, and nothing is as well. I am coming close to the halfway point of my time here this year and I finally feel like I am settled in. When I first arrived it felt as if I had been here all year really and that the last nine months in NYC hadn't happened at all. Then a few days later when things started getting rolling it felt like I was in a completely new place with no connection to last year.

First off very few people from last year returned, mostly the designers, and almost none of the staff. On the other hand a few people from two years ago returned, so an interesting dichotomy has been established between those of us who were here last year and ran things one way, and those who were here in years previous and ran things differently. Some of the changes from last year work, some didn't. The knowledge of previous years has made my work more efficient. It's been a balancing act. The work itself is about the same with the exception of the props person who makes the props produced last year look like they were made by a third grader.

The actors are the same way: the few returnees remember last year when most of the resident company liked each other at least, and got along well with the tech staff to boot. This year's group is surly and catty and not at all interested in much of anything outside their small musical theatre world. There are actors in the resident company who have not spoken a single word to me in the 6 weeks that we have been here. There are even a small handful that I am not 100% clear on their names. The talent levels in the resident company are also odd. Last year there was clearly a strong talent for either dance or singing in everyone. It was pretty clearly who was who in a brief time. This year no one seems to be very strong in either direction, and everyone seems pretty mediocre at both. Perhaps that is because this year was chosen on different purposes. Last year we just needed a generic chorus this year we specifically require a certain number of Asians, a certain number of black males and females, etc. in order to cast the shows properly, so the criteria for hiring is changed. There are of course a few standouts who will clearly have a career ahead of them, don't get me wrong. I just feel last year's cast was stronger all around.

In the end I'm happy to be back. I'm creating better, stronger designs because I have a better feel for the time limitations, and how to use the stock. I've also designed the entire season in a way that means pieces from every show will end up somewhere else later. At the end of the build period for the next show in fact the scenery for the final musical will be about 80% complete because pieces from every previous show will be doubling in. There are also all the fringe benefits of being in the woods, cooler weather than in the city, a break from concrete for a while... but I still can't help pining a bit for a "better" time past.

1 Response to "The More Things Change..."

  • Sue Seibert Says:

    Cully, sorry this season isn't quite up to snuff. Sounds, though, as if you are, on a whole, enjoying it. Has the rain slowed down so that you can get more done?