Culture Shock

I grew up in a rural area. The population of my hometown is 1,800, the closest grocery store was 10 miles away, at the time that I lived there there was one traffic light, (now there are three! Whew!), the newspaper is published once a week, (Wednesdays), and my high school class was one of the largest in generations... at a whopping 75 graduates.

Today I took a little bus ride into the country to visit the theatre where I will be working this summer. For three months I will be in the mountains designing musicals. It's a lovely place, really. Nestled in a valley, surrounded by trout streams, lots of rolling hills and picturesque views. The theatre itself is lovely, there's a great tavern attached to it, where I will probably drink many many beers this summer. BUT... (you knew that was coming right?) It is more rural than even where I grew up. Thirty minutes after arriving I realized that I didn't have a signal on my cell phone. Thirty minutes later I felt isolated and cut-off from the world. The production manager told me to go stand by a specific tree in the parking lot (!) where I mysteriously was able to pick up one bar. I was afraid to ask about internet access. The biggest shock? The closest comic shop is 25 miles away... I no longer own a car. (I'm a NEW YORKER!!)

For three months I will be cell-less, net-less, car-less, comic book-less... I'm amazed at how rapidly I have become adjusted to my cell phone and wireless internet styled lifestyle. These links help keep me informed, and employed, and attached to the rest of the world. Even if I was going back to South Carolina for the summer I'd have cell access. I feel like I'm going back to the stone age. The funny thing is, I have been considering a long hike (Appalachian Trail) for a few years now, where all of these things would also be true, to an even more extensive degree probably. This is different though... I mean... how am I supposed to work? To research without the net? I'm sure it will be fine. I'm sure I'll (re)adjust... but for today it seems pretty daunting.

3 Response to "Culture Shock"

  • Anonymous Says:

    Hi Cully,

    Welcome to the neighborhood. I live on Broadway at 151st St.
    I have been here for four years now (from Vermont), and I am amazed at how the neighborhood is changing. C-Town used to be much much scarier!
    I like your blog and your profile!
    Maybe we'll bump into each other on the street....
    Antony


  • Cully Says:

    Thanks, Antony! Obviously we're just a few blocks away from each other. E-mail me sometime, if you like, other than my roommates I know no one in the new neighborhood yet.


  • Cully Says:

    I assume you mean that Midtown will mail order comics for me? Yeah, I know about that. I did mail order for a few years when I was living in a city that had REALLY bad comic shops, but there's just something about walking into a shop every week that I missed. Ya know?

    Oh, and welcome, BTW... I've been reading your blog too.