Downtown Desolation

As a New Yorker I haven't had much reason to travel much further south than Canal street, except on rare occasions. Even when I did make those treks it was usually evening, or the weekend. Tribeca (the neighborhood below Canal street for those of you elsewhere) is a great neighborhood, and full of nice bars and places to eat and a few theatres, but it is mostly populated by financial types and so is at it's busiest during the week days. Today I had to meet a friend on Duane street, (just above Reade street... I never knew!). Getting out of the subway was a trick in itself, the Chambers street station seemed to have dozens of exits... but they were all locked off. I had to walk several blacks south of where I wanted to be, just to get out of the station. When I emerged I realized why... there was... no one. The streets were empty. It was a scene from the beginning of a zombie movie. I went two whole blocks before I saw another human being. In New York City this is a VERY disconcerting feeling. I'm used to the bustling streets and thousands of people everywhere fighting for space. After a few minutes I began to see the signs of life that I expect, the bodegas were still open, and there were a few people here and there but it was still nothing like an everyday situation. The city felt utterly different. Without the people I focussed a little more on the buildings, and the aging structure of the city. Now, I'm the kind of guy who LOVES the distressed surfaces around this city, peeling paint, dirty brick, old signs and posters... but today the city just looked a little tired, like it needed the rest it was getting from all of the people. Have you ever seen the look in the face of a mother of six small children when someone else takes charge of them for a while? That look of relaxation, but at the same time unsure of what exactly to do? That's the look that the city had today. Enjoy the rest NYC, the hoards will be back tomorrow.

2 Response to "Downtown Desolation"

  • Anonymous Says:

    If you like "the distressed surfaces around this city, peeling paint, dirty brick, old signs and posters", you'd probably enjoy the 'Columbus Studio Hostel' where I stayed while in NYC. That place is FULL of that... (in addition the certain odors some tom cat left behind...)

    Joan...
    Out On a Limb
    http://www.aztriad.com/joanalll.html


  • Kathleen Pequignot Says:

    What an interesting feeling you've captured. I never thought about NYC getting tired and needing a rest. It made the Big Apple more human-like for me--an endearing quality when you think about how much "life" happens there on a continual basis. Thanks for sharing your insight.