Subway Sketches: METAPOST

My new apartment is not as clearly convenient to one subway line as my old apartment was. Before I had a spare half a block walk to the A, or a 5 block walk to the 1-9. Obvious which line wins in that situation, right? Here I am sort of in between both lines, with a walk in either direction, the 1-9 being just a tiny bit shorter (or at least it seems that way). After 2 days of riding the 1-9 exclusively though, my choice has become clear: walk the distance to the A.

What made up my mind you ask? Well... sketching. I figured out that it is next to impossible to sketch on the 1-9. The cars are not as wide, and all the seats run along the length of the car rather than having some that jut out into the center of the car like the A. The seats seem somehow smaller too, though that may just be my perception. I tried several times to sketch and just found that I couldn't. This does amount to basically staring at a stranger for several minutes after all, and this is much harder to do when they are a couple feet closer to you than you're accustomed to. There just didn't seem to be a way to discretely work it out. So, as of tomorrow, I am an A train rider again.

1 Response to "Subway Sketches: METAPOST"