Still Pouring

I have officially reached a saturation point as far as work is concerned.

I already had two shows in mid October for a school that I often work for, and a show at the end of November. Today I finalized a bid for a job related to a non-theater related NYC institution, that I recently discovered does some small theatrical productions on the side. If that is accepted I'll have to begin work on that almost immediately. Today three more jobs opened up.

Last night the TD from this summer called to ask if I would consider coming to the college that he attends to work as a scenic painter for a production they are doing. This one isn't definite, but it is a possibility hanging out there in the ether.

Then early this morning I had a phone call from a friend who is also a scenic designer. He and I have traded jobs a few times, when one of us was too busy we gave the other's name to the producers. I had never known it, but it turns out that he is from New Orleans. Even though his family has asked him not to, he has decided to return home. Understandably he feels at a loss being here, so far away from his family. He asked me to assume the production of a show that he was already hired for. Even if I had been totally booked I probably would have agreed to do this job, just because a friend was in need. I have a meeting in regards to that production on Wednesday.

The stage manager from this summer also emailed me today to ask if I would be interested in costuming a small show that she is working on. This is another one that I agreed to immediately, for various reasons. First being that it is a new costume credit for me, something that I am attempting to build on resume. Another reason being that it is a world premiere from a fairly well known personality that I would love to have my name attached to in the future. Again, it isn't a lock yet, but the offer is out there.

If anything else is offered to me this month I will have to say no. This is one of those weird moments as a freelancer where I know that I have plenty of work, more than enough in fact, but the prospect of turning work down is painful. Last year I went through a very rough period around the months of April and May because work had dried up, and that period still looms large in my mind. To say no to a potential job brings up fears of that occurring again this year. On a positive note however, at this point things are looking great! My career is in fine shape, and this job that I am assuming for my friend is even a step along my career goal resolutions: I won't have to build a thing for it!

1 Response to "Still Pouring"

  • Anonymous Says:

    With all this work, does this mean you'll be coming for your van soon??? Please...come for the van, it misses you. I think the wasps are pooling their money together to get a drivers license.