Cold Remedy Review

I left the house this afternoon in search of that elusive beast: The Cold Remedy.

There is a small peculiarity in my self-medicating in that I cannot swallow pills. I know it's psychological, and for that matter illogical, but I just can't do it. Never have been able to. I resolved long ago to just get used to chewing pills, or dissolving them in something else. So, when I go out in search of various medicines I am always drawn to remedies that involve some alternative method of ingestion or application. Liquids, patches and chewables are my friend.

Today I was drawn to the Zicam line of cold remedies. Zicam seems to have been invented for me. They have so many different ways to get the medicine inside that it is an embarrassment of riches. There are q-tip type swabs to stick up your nose, sprays to put in either your nose or mouth, things to mix into drinks, liquids in pre-measured spoon-things, seltzer-style effervescent tablets, and either hard or soft candies. I decided to go with the soft candy style.

On first inspection they seem to have been the right choice. Opening the package greets you with a burst of sweet strawberry smell. Each individually wrapped candy has the look of a Now N Later or Laffy Taffy. After I popped it into my mouth I was greeted with exactly what I would expect: a rush of sugary sweetness, with a hint of an artificial sweetener back flavor. My happiness soon turned to horror though.

(Oooh! Dramatic!! What do you think happened? Let' see...)

The flavor and sweetness of the candy very rapidly faded away, leaving me with a lump of medicine flavored paste in my mouth, so sour that it was almost unbearable to finish. Seriously, this stuff tastes like ass. I'm stuck with it now though... I'm not going back out in the cold to retrieve an alternative. Not to mention the fact that this stuff cost me almost $10. I'm hoping that the answer is just chewing faster.

3 Response to "Cold Remedy Review"

  • Anonymous Says:

    did you find any pimentos?


  • Cully Says:

    Nope! Not unless roasted peppers are the same thing? I am going downtown later today so I'll try one of the bigger/better groceries down there.


  • Anonymous Says:

    here you go..."A name used for roasted red peppers that have been canned or bottled in liquid. Used for stuffing green olives."
    www.recipestogo.com/glossary/glossaryP.html - we are triumphant!