12 of 12 May

May 12th. 12 photos to document the 12th day of the month. Let's go!

Getting ready to leave the house, syncing up those Sunday podcasts (you know which ones), changing the batteries in the camera, grab the cell, and out the door!

Spotted this weird little tree/plant/thing on the way to work. It looks like a small fichus, about 3 feet tall, but has these daisy things growing out of it. Odd, but pretty.

Just beside my office building I grabbed breakfast, and snapped this while I waited in line. It was at this point that I realized that for the first time in months I had a theme building. I used to do themed photos in addition to the standard 12, but that fell away a few months back. Today it returned, everyone say hello to the theme!

At work. Morning was this project, a design for some French bank that is merging with a US firm and opening branches here. Another corporate tea party.

Lunch! Shrimp burrito with limes on the side. I put more of the lime in my drink than I did the burrito, but they were still tasty. Accompanied by a little light reading.

The view off the fire escape from work. Three weeks ago those vines were nothing more than dead branches. In the fall they turn a brilliant red.

After lunch I switched projects and headed down to Chinatown. The next few days I'm baby sitting a theatre project and I needed a few yards of fabric for the project.

The show is on a tight budget (of course, what theatre isn't?) so headed to the cheapest place I knew. 4 yards of black satin, $5 a yard. (Obviously not from this pile, this is the ripstop nylon, but it fit my theme better.)

On the way up the street to the theatre. I checked in on the show on Friday and Sunday as well, and this bike has been in exactly the same place since at least Friday. What do you want to bet that it'll still be there tomorrow?

At the theatre. These are the "cigar boxes" or road cases that the shop that built the show sent down. It contains anything that might be needed for the run of the show, or for the strike when it's all over. The shop will come back and retrieve the box, and the set pieces, and use the tools inside for the strike.

Dinner prep. Fiddle Head ferns, and baby yellow squash. I sautéed them in a little olive oil with red pepper flakes and then tossed them with egg noodles and parmesan. Tasty!

Ted gets a little brushing while I watch TV before bed. And that's my day!

Did you spot the theme? I admit that the first one might be difficult because the screen on my iPod blew out in the photo... but it's there.

To see the 12 of 12 from the other participants check Chad Darnell's blog here.

9 Response to "12 of 12 May"

  • silver horde Says:

    Enjoyed your green (?) 12 of 12!


  • Christin Says:

    A green 12 of 12! Lovely kitty. Seems like he's one of the cats that enjoy (or at least don't mind) being brushed. *lol* I never knew that one can eat fern. Have to investigate!

    And Canal Street! Not that that's so exciting, but was in NYC for the New Year so it was nice to see a picture from a place (however ordinary) that I've been to. Hee... Want to go back!


  • Cully Says:

    Fern is only really edible in this form (I think) the very early shoots that arrive in the early spring. It has a sort of mild asparagus flavor, perhaps a bit less "cultivated." They are really tasty, but can be a bitch to clean properly since they come with a very thing brown papery skin on them.


  • Dogeared Says:

    I didn't know you could eat fern either - learnt something new from your green 12!

    Helen (Dogeared, 12er)


  • Allison Says:

    Oh my gosh! Ted looks more like my Maddie than any other black cat I've ever seen! At least from that angle. Great theme and very yummy looking food on your day.


  • Unknown Says:

    Very pretty, especially the ivy. At first I thought your theme was "green clusters".

    Coincidentally, I just bought my first fiddleheads of the year on the same day!


  • Zippy Says:

    Love the "green" theme! The vines on the building are incredible - looks like a waterfall of green. I didn't know ferns were edible either - did you get those in Chinatown?

    Ted is beautiful and he knows it.


  • Cully Says:

    Ted thanks you! I got my fiddleheads at Whole Foods, I've also seen them at Garden of Eden. I occasionally see them at the farmer's market in Union Square, but I haven't found them there et this year.


  • Martini Dan Says:

    Great photos! I have an black cat too. Her name and personality are Sassy.