Going Swimmingly

Tonight I had a serious look at what it would take for me to get swimming lessons.

Let's begin with this: it would be easier for me to get swimming lessons in New York City if I was 5 or under. Or a dog. I found dozens of places that were willing to take my kids or my pets swimming, but very few that would teach me. Of the ones I found that offered lessons to adults, almost all of them had a requirement that you be comfortable floating face down. If I could do that I wouldn't be on this quest now would I? A few places would teach me with private lessons, at a rate of $360 for three hour long sessions.

The YMCA has classes, but YMCA classes were part of what built this fear up in me the first time. The City Parks system has swim classes, but nothing listed seems to be for beginner adults. Last summer when I toyed with the notion of doing this I found a place that seemed perfect but their website is gone, and I don't see any evidence of where they went. Are private lessons what I need? I see lots of listings for private people, ex-Olympic swimmers, competitive swimmers, Marines, lifeguards, etc. who do private lessons. Is this the best way for me to pursue this?

This is all very discouraging.

1 Response to "Going Swimmingly"

  • Nita Van Zandt Says:

    Lessons for actual "swimming" seem further along the fear-of-water line than you might be ready for. How about looking for someone who deals with water fear, first.

    I shudder at the teaching techniques used by a Marine (stereotypical thinking here, I know), or an Olympic champion, when fear is your first challenge to getting into the water.

    How about your own ad, looking for a compassionate teacher?