I Think It's Time

So... while I was out hiking today (I did finish off that cache in NJ) I made a decision. I need to learn to swim. Or more precisely I need to learn to get over my fear of water. I used to swim, long long ago, when my years could be measured in single digits, but somewhere along the way I developed this debilitating fear of water. Actually of going under water. I can get in a pool, and even go out on a raft in water over my head, as long as there is no danger of me getting water in my ears, or getting my face wet. It is the submersion that is a problem. There are a handful of swimming classes here in the city that specialize in people in my position, but I know nothing about them, what tactics they might employ, that sort of thing. Has anyone ever done anything like this? Kid Flash just really loves the water, and the beach, and I'm tired of being silly about the whole ordeal and being all left out when everyone else wants to swim. I have no idea what else to do.

1 Response to "I Think It's Time"

  • Nita Van Zandt Says:

    Definitely worth doing! And along the way, try working with what goes through your mind at the thought of putting your head underwater. Experts at phobias will lead you through steps of working with your fears.

    Can you put your head underwater in a bathtub? Can you stand in a shower and run water over your head? Where does it become a fear of not being able to breathe?

    I've been through this myself, back in my teens, and worked through it with gradual steps toward confidence in holding my breath and losing the fear of getting water in my nose and eyes.

    When you work with someone to step through the fears (there's more than one), you can start to enjoy water. Start in the bathroom :-)