Scenic Design Alert

I had a totally different post planned for today, but Blogger doesn't seem to be wanting to upload images this evening. Instead I will let you know that the Barnes and Noble location on Broadway near Lincoln Center has a display in the window of two models and several sketches by Franco Zefirelli. The two models are from two of his most famous sets for the Metropolitan Opera "La Boheme" (you can see a shot of that set in action at the end of this review of RENT) and "La Traviata." The sketches are from Carmen, and a couple of other productions. I'll tell you that when i worked at the met that model for Boheme was one of the treasured possessions of the previous Technical Director. It had it's own glass case in one of the hallways of the technical department and was positioned so that it could be used as a stopping place on backstage tours. It is a beautiful model and I have spent many any afternoon staring at it and wondering about the materials and techniques used in it. Almost all of Zefirelli's productions at the Met have been retired at this point, though I think they will continue to use this one until it crumbles to dust on stage. If you have any interest in scenic design or model making I strongly suggest you take the time to wing by and see these two models. They are art.

1 Response to "Scenic Design Alert"

  • Anonymous Says:

    I will have to check this out. I did a sketch for Franco many years back, he was a wonderful client and I almost didn't want to cash the check!

    I also had the opportunity to watch him watercolor, cheap brush, cheap paints turned into simple masterpieces.