Ancestral Surprise

Meet John Joshua Beasley, and his wife Maggie and son Carleton. He is my great-great-grandfather. John was famous in his hometown in Georgia for having fathered 40 children over 50 years with only two different women. I found a newspaper article about him a few months ago, and mailed away for a photocopy. I was pleasantly surprised yesterday when it arrived to find that it contained a photograph! I had not expected an article from 1929 to have photos, and I hadn't seen this photo posted anywhere online.

6 Response to "Ancestral Surprise"

  • Anonymous Says:

    Mom's side or dad's side?


  • Cully Says:

    This is my dad's side.


  • Anonymous Says:

    Hi, Wow I was searching my father n law for my children's school project and found your blog. The baby in this picture is my father in law Frank Beasley. We have a copy of the article that accompanied this photo when Frank had a peanut stuck in his lung and went to the hospital. The nurses found out he had forty children and a reporter arrived and the rest is history.


  • Cully Says:

    Well Anonymous, drop me a line and maybe we can share more information! You are descended from his youngest child, and I am descended from the oldest.


  • Anonymous Says:

    huey I am a beasley decendent too my grandfather is Grady Beasley oldest son of Maggie and John Joshua Beasley. I to know Frank Beasley my uncles but we call him Jack...


  • Cully Says:

    My offer stands to all Beasley descendants that find me here, please email me at childofatom [at] gmail [dot] com and we can share information if you like. I still do not know the names of all 40 children for instance.