My Mental Jukebox

Have I ever discussed the ease with which a song gets stuck in my head? It's so simple, just a few notes, barely anything, a scrap of a song and I'll hum it for the next few hours. Every day when I return to the office from lunch I am singing whatever was playing in the deli. A few years ago, while on a trip, a friend noticed this and decided to test me. He whistled or hummed a few notes from a song to see how many repetitions, and how many notes it would take before I picked it up. His best result, 5 notes, and a single repetition. I'm ashamed to admit that the song was "Afternoon Delight."

But it doesn't end there. I also have a selection of songs that constantly shuffle through my brain, popping up whenever I go into "neutral." Here now, for your consideration, is a list of those songs:

1. The theme from Mario Brothers I have no idea why this is in there. I never really played the game very much. (Be sure to visit that link.)

2. Axel F Again, a mystery. I'm not a fan of the movies.

3. The Bear Went Over The Mountain This one has to be a childhood thing, but I don't remember being particularly attached to the song, or having it sung to me on a regular basis.

4. The 20th Century Fox Opening Credits I'd love someone to explain this one to me. There are no words, not even a melody per se, just some drums and trumpets, but there are days when it plays in an endless loop in my head.

5. Coat of Many Colors by Dolly Parton This one is a recent development. I've only been humming for a month or so, so it may not be a permanent addition to the repertoire. At least this one I understand.

6. Jingle Bells Year round, doesn't matter.

7. East Bound and Down, the theme from Smokey and the Bandit

8. Hippie Life from the musical Hair, it's been nearly 3 years since I worked on this show and I'm still singing it so I guess it's here to stay.

9. Midnight Train to Georgia Another understandable one

10. Amazing Grace a nice one for an avowed atheist, huh?

Anyone care to psychoanalyze me based on these songs?

1 Response to "My Mental Jukebox"

  • Anonymous Says:

    Sadly, with all the things we don't have in common, this is one of the things we DO have in common, and apparently it annoys the people around me to no end. Weirdly enough, it's even some of the same songs....

    Your sister